Sunday, December 2, 2012

Greater Purpose

I was taught some interesting things today. Our Elders quorum lesson was on fear... and our hometeaching visits and the Christmas devotional were about refocusing on Christ through service, love... From those things I made this connection. Sometimes I do not serve because I am afraid. I'm afraid that people will judge the talent that I'm sharing, that people will examine with scrutiny the words that I have to say, that my efforts will be insufficient, that I'm not worthy/able to meet the need... I realized that my fear basically boils down to my pride. I am so concerned about how an unfavorable outcome will affect my happiness rather that focusing on the act of reaching out. I feel that this balance is most obvious to me while singing. When I perform a solo and I am concerned about what people will think about ME and MY voice then I can hear the nervousness affect my singing. When I perform with the intent of sharing the message and put my efforts into expression the music just eases out of me and most likely sounds 10x better. I've noticed the ability to perform with excellence in anything is much easier, and more effective, when I focus on the importance of the service/action/person rather than myself. I'll never excel if my motivation is myself. Find a better reason to live!

Matthew 14:26-31

26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.
27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.  
28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.  
29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.  
30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.  
31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?
Pride -> Fear, Love -> Faith 


Image

No comments:

Post a Comment