Saturday, December 1, 2012

Sound of Silence

Let me tell you about one of the most glorious things in the world. We had our Christmas concert the last couple of nights and there's a moment in it that I wish could of lasted just a bit longer. We sang a version of "The First Noel" that just melts the soul. The music itself is quite wonderful, but what just floored me was the contrast that takes place in the last chorus. To me, silence was the most powerful instrument in that performance. To see what I mean check it out (Link). To listen to the whole song go to 1:21:15 and to just catch the last chorus jump to 1:25:10. With all of the choirs combined on this song we have well over 600 voices plus and orchestra, you can imagine the amount of sound in there as we hit that climax. Just now I've been replaying that spot over and over... It doesn't really compare to being there, but it's the closest you can get now... and it's still amazing. In the concert hall that silence was incredible. In the video you can even hear how the sound echoed into silence (so cool!!!!). There are few experiences I've had that equate to the peace, stillness and majesty that lingered there for just that split second. I wish everyone could experience what I did these last few days in that concert and, specifically, in that beautiful song.

No comments:

Post a Comment